The Sow Research Coordinator will work closely with the NutriQuest Research Coordinator to assist with research projects at the New Horizons Farms Applewood site in Jasper, MN and datasheets for other research sites as fits. This position is responsible to coordinate activities during the research trials, managing electronic data capturing efforts, managing supply inventory for research, expanding on biological collections and potential assays.
- Beginning studies with marking out sows and entering them into the master datasheet. This could include helping to move sows around gestation barn from stall to stall.
- Maintain appropriate inventory level of supplies and products.
- Be able to collect biological samples which may include, fecal, blood, and milk samples. Individual must be able to research more efficient methods of collecting samples or different biological samples to optimize assay work.
- Responsible for weighing sow, newborn babies and wean piglets, ear tagging and giving vaccinations.
- Manage the Gestal electronic feeding systems or be able to work with the company to fix an issue.
- Enhance the electronic data capture system and work with the NQ Research Coordinator to resolve.
- Manage datasheets and calculate sow, litter, or other animal productivity using equations trained by research coordinator or learned from research peer-reviewed articles.
- Maintain mixer profile for top-dressings and mix top-dressings for studies
- Laboratory work such as immunocrit on serum samples when time allows.
Applewood Barn (NHF) Responsibilities:
- Follow all production protocols and procedures to maximize sow and gilt production and efficiencies.
- Adhere to all biosecurity protocols and give input to lead person in area for items out of compliance.
- Follow all safety procedures and guidelines.
- Minimum of B.S. in Animal Science
- Experience or willingness to learn animal production and know or have the desire to learn research skills
- Strong skills in Microsoft Excel or desire to learn
- Attention to detail and thoroughness
- Time management skills
- Servitude Orientation
- Ethical Conduct
- Communication Proficiency
- Problem Solving
Travel Requirements: Little to no travel required
- Normal corrective vision range, ability to see color and distinguish letters, number and symbols.
- Frequently required to walk, talk, hear, bend and reach.
- This position may require lifting 50 lbs.